Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pop!!

Today I dusted off the spinning wheel and finally got spinning again!!

The motivation, or rather, the justification, because it's not that I haven't WANTED to spin, it's a time issue! You know how it is, life takes up so much time that you can't fit any life in? uhmm.. hang on.. I'm sure that's how it works..

In any case! The reason I got my spin on was to create a little giftie for Shaz's birfday! :)

I had about 100 grams or so, maybe a little less, of this unREAL pink and purple fibre Helen gifted me a while back, but since then I had removed it from its cover and have lost ANY details about it! No idea who dyed it, the type of wool... Nevermind!! It spun up very prettily despite its incognito ways!
pink purple singles
I spun it up while Jolene was over with GORGEOUS bubblie Rachel, and they were both mesmerized by the spinning wheel in motion! I'm sure it won't be long 'til we get you spinning, right Jolene? *grin*

I managed to spin the singles relatively evenly onto the bobbins - despite the appearance in the picture! One bobbin still had a few remnants of a previously spun yarn, so it appears a bit fuller at that stage. It plied up really well, apart from a few lazy kate issues *deep breath* in which the top bobbin kept spooling yarn too quickly and coiling around the edges of the lazy kate rod. None-the-less, the few 'tags' that resulted in the plied yarn from my distractions withthe lazy kate add character and I'm very pleased with this Pink Purple yarn that Pops with colour!!
pink purple pop

I didn't have time enough to soak and set it, but I did hang it for a short time - and have devised a new hanging method! The fabulous hanging basket is just right, hangs a few centimeters from the ground and is a suitable weight for setting the twist! Yay!

pink purple skein hang

It felt really good to be spinning again, and I'm sure it won't be long 'til I'm at it again!

3 comments:

Chelsea the Yarngeek said...

I just *love* those colors! Your spinning looks really neat! Reminds me that I've got to drag my wheel out more often...

Anonymous said...

The wool looks beautiful, I love the way there are thicker and thinner parts and the colour does 'Pop'!!! Very ingenious hanging solution!!!

Ann said...

The colors are gorgeous - love it!