Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Secret Pal 10 Questionnaire!

Alrighty! Here it is - The Secret Pal 10 Questionnaire! And just in the nick of time before the end of Feb! hehe :) I'm so SO super excited about Secret Pal, and cant wait for it to get started and be set up with my Secret Paalll!!! For those of you not knitterly, or for knitters who haven't heard of it before - The Secret Pal exchange involves people registering their interest, then the co-ordinators pair everybody up such that each person has someone to spoil, and someone to spoil them! So you get to meet two new knitters in depth as you prepare a little package of all sorts of goodies for the person you're set to spoil, and as you receive all sorts of treats and things in the mail from the person who's spoiling you! Your spoilER and spoilEE are never the same person. Sounds like so much fun!!

So here's my completed Secret Pal Questionnaire.. now my new Secret Pal (hi!!!) will know almost everything knitterly about me! =D

1.What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I adore natural fibers - something about keeping the craft as un-processed and un-manufactured as possible - but of course that doesn't apply to colour!! LOVE colour! Hehe :) Wools I've had most to do with, and cotton - I love them both, and though I tend to steer away from acrylicky types, I'll use them if the need dictates, or if I've got some hibernating in my stash!


2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I use vases with a little soft felt in the bottom to protect needle tips. I love that vases/bowls keep the needles on display - very aesthetically pleasing!


3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I'm a very new knitter! I started knitting around August last year, but I've gotten pretty gung-ho into it so I'd say I'm an intermediate. Love cables, always keen to try new techniques, and starting my first lace project now!


4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No - there'd be too much on it I think!!


5. What's your favorite scent?
Vanilla is a definite favourite, and light jasmine type scents too

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Oh my goodness.. I have to pick a favourite?! Sheez.. Well I love chocolate, flat out - simply love it. In terms of lollies I like all sorts really, I'm a bit of a sugar-addict and definitely a sweet tooth! And although I'm being more disciplined and healthy now with what I eat, I always make a little room for something tasty - otherwise it's simply not living, is it? :) I love trying things from different countries - so the British sweet shoppes around the place are always a hit!

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I'm one of those all-round crafty types - love getting my hands dirty, learning new skills and creating! I do spin, a hobby I've recently taken up and love love love! I also do some beading, writing etc.. all sorts! And I plan to get more into sewing too :)

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
ooohhh.. I'm a big music fan really :) Love tunes and love going to gigs of favourite bands and jumping about like a (knit) nutt in the crowd!! I like alternative rock, punk rock, bluesy tunes, ska bands with brass interjections!, but I love an eclectic mix really, including barbershop, tribal percussion etc.. etc.. the list goes on! I love music with passion and energy :) Yupp - my computer can play mp3s and I have an ipod I can play them through too :)

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favourite colour is definately green - I simply adore it! But I'm a fan of all bright colours really :) Colorus I can't stand.. that's hard.. I suppose dull lifeless colours (are there any?!), and I don't wear a lot of pink.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Oooohhhh don't tease! I'd LOVE pets! Have always had critters in my family until now - but my scrumptious bum partner and I are working away on and off etc.. so we can't inflict that upon a little fuzzy muffin - we'll have dogs, geese, ducks, ferrets, chooks etc... once we've settled! So at this stage it's the two of us on pat-malone! :)


11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Here in Australia we don't have that much need for toasty mostly woolly items, but being a knitter I certainly make the most of the cooler weather! I'm a scarf and mitten/fingerless glove person, but the ponchos don't do much for the large bust!

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Ooohhh.. see now that's tricky because I haven't been knitting for very long!! I'm super keen to try lace and see what that's like, but of the techniques and garments i have done.. I enjoy cables, and shaped items, like beanies, mug warmers etc.. so I imagine I'll love making up larger items like jumpers and cardigans etc! Can't wait to make some Fetchings!!

13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm knitting a few things...

  • a little woollen baby beanie on circulars/DPNs
  • my first pair of socks! Toe ups, in wool/cotton blend - delish!
  • a clapotis (though so far I've only swatched for it!) in pure wool, Welsh Green Dragon colourway, hand dyed -yummo!
  • And I'm about to start a birthday pressie for my Scrumptious, and a shawl for my Gran!

Phew! It's fun seeing all my current (and almost current) projects outlined like that! :)

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I love handmade gifts and goodies!! I love that people put time and effort into creating things - even if they aren't as gifts! - although they're always super special :) It's awesome to see people be inventive and create!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love the feel and smooooooothness of bamboo *drifts away thinking about it* So I tend to use Addi circulars a lot in the bamboo range. I find the circs are lovely because you can knit in bed with the doona up around you, or on the couch without long straights getting caught up or stabbing my shweetum as I knit!! hehe But I do love the romantic and classic look of the straights, ans have been eyeing off some of the gorgeously hand crafted wooden ones that are about :)

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
As of recently, I certainly do! And aren't they magic things!?!

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I don't think I have UFO!! How's that for a revelation! Being a relatively new knitter I haven't had much time to leave anything by the wayside. I recently finished the only item that could be described as a UFO, as it took me several months to keep working on it and finish it!

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Either Australia Day or Christmas :) I love the mate-ship feeling and relaxation of Australia Day, and that everyone gets into costume and Aussie gear! Christmas for me is a magical (and yet a little poignant) time full of sparkle, wonder and light - I try not to get too caught up in the stress and consumerism.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Hmm... not really.. I adore Rainbow Brite so I keep an eye out for shirts, figurines, stickers - anything to do with Rainbow Brite and her crew! But apart from that - nothing springs to mind! oooh except Christmas ornaments! Writing the above Question's answert reminded me! I do collect Christmas ornaments :) Usually I'm gifted a special one each year by various special people :)

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I'm absolutely hanging OUT to try Koigu and Socks That Rock! The Chapman springs colour way of socks that rock makes me weak at the knees, and Koigu I've heard so much about but can't source it from anywhere here in Oz! Oooh and needle-wise I'm lying in wait to ambush the new addi lace needles! yum! I'm subscribed to Vogue Knitting, and am thinking of subscribing to Interweaves, seeing as I pretty much buy it every time anyway!! Books I'd love to get my hands on are some of those Japanese craft books, particularly around making those awesome little critters! The amigurumi figures of little animals either sewn, crocheted or what not - cute!!

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I have deemed 2007 to be my year of learning to knit Continental and Combination style, and to learn Fair Isle. I've had a crack at a little fair Isle swatch and pulled it off okay, but I figure with Continental under my belt it'll be a lot faster, easier and more fun! I also want to spend more time dyeing and developing those skills, plus I plan to learn how to Navajo ply and other exciting spinning tricks!

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I certainly am a sock knitter! At this stage it is 'sock' singular - still have my very first sock (toe up) on the needles! But I'm enjoying it very much! Love love loving the novelty of using multiple tiny wooden needles and knit knit knitting in the round on them! Ooohhh.. foot measurement eh? Well I'm about a size 8 1/2 - 9 shoe.. but I'll have to check my actualy measurements!! Sorry!!

23. When is your birthday?
Early January - I'm a Capricorn, Year of the Dog and a summer bub!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know about everyone else, but I am exhausted just reading that :)

pinky-yin said...

haha...now i know more about u... as for sock... me too...havent started on the other feet :P